Sunday, December 5, 2010

Beer Quest (day two): Bell's Expedition Stout


It’s Day 2 of my beer quest for Bell’s Expedition Stout and I feel the next logical step is to go Wegman’s - a high end grocery store/food court that also sells six packs of beer, and mostly micro-brews at that. I know they sell the Bell’s, so maybe I have a chance. I entered the beer area and slowly scanned the selection. I saw Bell’s Two Hearted, Bell’s Kalamazoo Stout, Bell’s Pale Ale, but very much like how the magic mirror on Romper Room saw everybody but me, I was seeing every Bell’s beer except The Expedition Stout. I walked around and around hoping I missed it, but like a potential classic rusting away in tall grass or boat resting on its side 4 miles inland, shit was clearly not going the way I hoped it would.



So instead I put together a little variety six pack/potential beer quest suicide note. I threw in two Troeg’s Java Head Stouts, a Dogfish Head Chicory Stout, and 3 Rogue Santa’s Private Reserve and headed home depressed, dejected, and slightly gassy.

The Troeg’s Java Head Stout (7.5% ABV) went down easy. Not a whole lot to it. Low carbonation, nice coffee taste but not much else. It had little bit a of a kick at the end like a birch beer. I would drink it again but it would not be at the top of my list for a Stout choice, but not at the bottom either. Definitely worth trying if you like coffee - as this is pretty much a beer that tastes like coffee. And the label is pretty great.


The Dogfish Head Chicory Stout (5.2% ABV) was a little better. This one had more of a malt back bone to it, which I liked. Also, this had strong hints of coffee and a nice roastiness to it with some sweetness (chocolate!). However, the aroma was not that pleasing. As I put my nose in the glass to drink it, it smelled like something my dog had been laying on all day. But I easily got passed that and enjoyed it quite a bit.

The next night I went for the Rogue’s Santa’s Private Reserve (6% ABV) and it was awesome. This hoppy red ale drank like a mellow IPA with a nice combo of malt and spice to finish the way a holiday beer should. I plan on buying more of this. The three I had went down way to quickly and I wanted more. For those of you that have had Sierra Nevada’s Celebration Ale, this is like a milder version. A little brother or younger cousin to maybe put it in perspective. I love them both.

But the quest must go on. I must find me some Bell’s Expedition Stout…

2 comments:

  1. Good post. I'll be keeping my eyes open for the expedition and let you know if I see it anywhere.

    ReplyDelete